Error Code 0x80072efe - What is it?
Error Code 0x80072efe is a fairly common error code that generally occurs in Windows 10. It is most often associated with the process of performing updates using the Windows Update tool.
Common symptoms include:
- Inability to install or complete updates on your Windows machine
- Computer freezing as programs are run or started
- Inability to perform installations of downloaded programs
- Programs crashing or failing to work properly
While Error Code 0x80072efe can cause a number of frustrating issues on your device, the good news is that there are several methods that can be used to fix this error. The two most common methods are actually fairly easy to perform and do not require advanced tools or knowledge. However, if you don’t feel like you will be able to perform the necessary steps on your own, be sure to get in touch with a qualified computer repair technician to help you in the resolution of this particular error.
Two things are generally behind the appearance of Error Code 0x80072efe on a Windows device. The first is that one or more of your registry keys are not available, have been corrupted, or are not installed properly. The second is that necessary DLL files aren’t working properly within your machine.
However, other things can mimic these causes, which is why the two methods listed below will resolve the issue in most cases.
Further Information and Manual Repair
Fortunately, there are two resolution methods that can be used quickly and easily when Error Code 0x80072efe arises on your Windows computer. Neither of these requires advanced knowledge or skill, but if you don’t feel comfortable with performing these steps on your own, it is recommended that you contact a qualified computer repair technician in order to get assistance.
Here are the best ways to resolve Error Code 0x80072efe on your computer:
Method One: Check Your Time and Date Settings for Accuracy
If your time or date has been set incorrectly, it can make your system logs appear to have incorrect information, which can lead to the appearance of Error Code 0x80072efe. Because this is the easiest thing to fix if it is indeed the problem that is making the error code appear, this should always be the first thing that you try when this error code arises.
In order to check your time and date settings, follow these simple steps:
- Step One: Make sure that you are logged into your computer as an administrator.
- Step Two: Click on the time and date listed on the lower right edge of your screen. If the settings are not correct, choose the option to change the time and date.
If method one has not successfully resolved Error Code 0x80072efe, you may need to attempt method two.
Method Two: Check Your Firewall Settings During Updates
In some cases, your firewall can prevent your machine from accessing the information that it needs in order for the installation or update to go through correctly. If that is the case, you can follow a few simple steps to turn off your firewall, just while you install the update, and then turn it back on.
In order to do so, follow these steps:
- Step One: In the Start menu, choose the option to open the Control Panel.
- Step Two: Select the option for System and Security, looking for and clicking on Windows Firewall.
- Step Three: Turn off any private network firewalls.
- Step Four: Reboot your computer to apply the changes that you have made.
- Step Five: Re-attempt to run your Windows Update.
Note that if this method allows you to successfully bypass the error code, you’ll need to make sure to turn the firewall back on when you are finished. Even though it can interfere with the Update process, your firewall is still very important to your computer.
Method Three: Use An Automated Tool
If you wish to always have at your disposal a utility tool to fix these Windows 10 and other related issues when they do arise, download and install a powerful automated tool.