Fixing There is insufficient disk space to complete operation Error in Windows 10
If you are trying to copy a folder or file in your Windows 10 computer but encountered an error that says, “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation”, then you’ve come to the right place as this post will walk you through on how you can fix the error. This kind of problem could be due to lack of disk space, corrupted disk and many more. In such cases, this error usually pops up when you move or copy a file or folder to a particular location.
There are several potential fixes you can check out to fix this error. You can try to run the Storage Sense or Disk Cleanup or try copying or moving the file in a Clean Boot State. You could also try formatting the given partition to NTFS. For more information, refer to each one of the options provided below.
Option 1 – Try to delete the temporary files
The error could be caused by some temporary or junk files in your computer and so you need to clear them up to fix the problem. You can achieve that using the Storage Sense feature.
- Open Setting > System > Storage from the WinX Menu.
- From there, you will see a list of all the local and connected storage device along with the details on the free space. Make sure that Storage Sense is on.
- Next, find a link that says “Free Up Space” and click it to open.
- After that, a screen which is the built-in program in Windows 10 will appear and will scan your computer for the following junk files so you can free up disk space:
- Windows Upgrade Log Files
- System created Windows error Reporting Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Previous Windows Installation Files
- Delivery Optimisation Files
- DirectX Shader Cache
- Choose the files you want to get rid of and then click on the remove files option. Note that you’ll have an idea of the total size as you select any of the junk files listed above.
- Now go to the “Free Up Space Now” section and click the Clean Now button. This will get rid of all the temporary or junk files in your computer and should hopefully fix the “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error.
Option 2 – Restart your computer in a Clean Boot State
If the first options didn’t work and you still see the “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error when you copy folder or files, you can try put your computer in a Clean Boot State and then again.
- Log onto your PC as administrator.
- Type in msconfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And to configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- Now try to connect copy the folder or file once more and check if the error is now gone.
Option 3 – Try formatting the given partition to NTFS
Even though this option may take a lot of your time, it is proven to fix the “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error as reported by many users who also went through the same dilemma. So if the removable disk is showing the same error message no matter which computer you insert it, you might have to format the drive with the help of Command Prompt. Bu before you do that, you must know that all the contents of your drive will be permanently deleted after you format it.
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd and then tap Enter or click OK to open the Command Prompt.
- And in the elevated window of Command Prompt, type in the following command:
format F: /fs:ntfs
In the command given above, “F” is the drive letter and “ntfs” is the file system you want. Just remember to replace “F” with the drive letter you want to format as well as the file system you prefer. Brace yourself as this process might take quite a while even if you only have a 4 GB USB drive – so you must not close the window under any circumstances as the drive might get corrupted and wait for the process to finish.
Besides the “There is insufficient disk space to complete operation” error, if you have other system related issues that need some fixing on your Windows 10 PC, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you can try to fix them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.