What to do if Recent Items are not visible under Windows 10 Taskbar icons
In this post, you will be guided on what to do if the Recent Items are no longer visible in the Taskbar icons in Windows 10. This can be quite inconvenient especially if you work simultaneously on many files and documents together and would require you to visit them regularly to incorporate changes. Thus, if you find that the Recent items are not visible in the Windows Taskbar, read on.
In order for the Recent Items to appear on the taskbar icons in Windows 10 again, there are four potential fixes you can check out. You can try to show the recently opened items via Settings or clear the cache of the recent items. You could also make some changes in the Windows Registry or use the Group Policy Editor.
But before you proceed with these potential fixes, it’s best if you create a System Restore Point first just in case something goes wrong after you made changes in the system. The System Restore Point allows you to undo these changes and bring back the previous state of your computer. Thus, you need to create one and then carefully follow the given options below.
Option 1 – Show the recently opened items via Settings
The first thing you can do to fix the problem is to show the recently opened items through the Settings app.
- Open the Settings app and select Personalization.
- From there, select the Start option and scroll down until you see the “Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar” option.
- Make sure that its toggle button is turned on.
Option 2 – Try to clear the Recent Items cache
- Tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
- Next, copy and paste this link on the address bar: %AppData%Microsoftwindowsrecentautomaticdestinations
- Once you’re in the given location, you should see multiple files. Now select all these files and completely delete them.
Note: These files are automatically recreated when you interact with the system like performing tasks such as opening apps or accessing files.
- After that, go to this next location: %AppData%Microsoftwindowsrecentcustomdestinations
- Once there, delete all of its files and restart your computer. This should resolve the problem.
Option 3 – Try making changes via Registry Editor
The next thing you can do to fix the problem is to apply some tweaks in the Registry by following these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “Regedit” in the field and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Next, navigate to this registry sub-path: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion
- From there, select the Policies Explorer folder located in the left pane.
- Then move to the right pane and look for the “NoRecentDocsHistory” entry and right-click on it.
- Now delete this entry.
Note: This entry is the one that stores the Group Policy setting for “Do not keep the history of recently opened documents. The Group Policy adds this entry to the registry with a value of 1 if you enable the “Do not keep the history of recently opened documents” policy. On the other hand, if you disable the policy by setting it to “Not configured” or deleting it, the Group Policy will delete the entry from the registry, and the system will act as though the value is 0 – for instance, it keeps the history of the recently opened files in your computer.
Option 4 – Try to use the Group Policy Editor
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run utility and type “gpedit.msc” in the field and tap Enter to launch the Group Policy Editor.
- Next, navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar.
- Afterward, double click on the “Do not keep a history of recently opened documents” policy located on the right panel. This is the policy that lets you enable or disable recent items and frequent places.
- Now to enable the recent items, as well as the frequent places, feature, click on the “Disabled” or the “Not Configured” option.
- Once you’re done, close the Group Policy Editor and restart your PC.
Note: If you choose to enable this setting, the system and Windows programs will not create shortcuts to documents opened while the setting is in effect. Aside from that, they also stay but won’t display the existing document shortcuts and the system will empty the Recent Items menu on the Start menu and the Windows programs won’t also display shortcuts in the Start Menu. In addition, the Taskbar won’t also show the recently opened or frequently used folders, files, or websites.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Recent Items aren’t visible under Taskbar error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Recent Items aren’t visible under Taskbar error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.