How to Fix “Something happened and we couldn’t start the upgrade” Error in Windows 10 Pro
As you know, each one of the Windows 10 versions are priced differently and one of the considered more expensive compared to the Windows 10 Home version is the Windows10 Pro. The good thing is, Microsoft allows its users to upgrade from the Windows 10 Home version to the Windows 10 Pro version at a reasonable cost instead of buying the entire license again.
However, upgrading your Windows 10 computer is not always that easy and you might encounter some errors along the way. One of the reported errors you could encounter is an error message that says, “Something happened, and we couldn’t start the upgrade”. This kind of problem is due to the problems with the Microsoft Store or the key authorization and to fix it, there are several options you can check out. You can try to run the built-in troubleshooters such as the, Windows Update troubleshooter, Windows Store Apps troubleshooter or the Microsoft Accounts troubleshooter. You could also try to reset the Windows Store cache or re-register the Windows Store app. For more details, refer to each one of the given options below.
Option 1 – Try to run the Microsoft Accounts troubleshooter
Since the Microsoft Accounts troubleshooter is not built-in into the Windows operating system, you can download this troubleshooter by clicking on this link.
Option 2 – Try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter could also help you resolve the “Something happened, and we couldn’t start the upgrade” error. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button. After that, follow the next on-screen instructions and you should be good to go.
Option 3 – Run the Windows Store App troubleshooter
The Windows 10 Store Apps Troubleshooter will help you in fixing the problem in Microsoft Store. This is a great built-in tool from Microsoft that helps users fix any app issues. To use the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, follow the steps below.
- Tap Win + I keys again to open the Windows Settings panel.
- Go to Update & Security and then go to Troubleshoot.
- Under the Troubleshoot section, on your left-hand side, scroll down to find Window Store Apps.
- Then click on Run the troubleshooter option and follow the on-screen instructions and then see if it fixes the problem.
Option 4 – Try to reset the Microsoft Store cache
As you know, like any other apps, Microsoft Store also caches as you view apps and games so it is most likely that the cache is no longer valid and must be removed. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Right click on the start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator).
- Next, type in the command, “wsreset.exe” and tap Enter. Once you do, the command will clear the cache for the Windows Store app.
- Now restart your PC and afterwards, try opening Microsoft Store again and then try to install your app or update your computer again.
Option 5 – Try to re-register the Microsoft Store app via Windows PowerShell
- Tap the Win + X key combination or right click on the Start button and click on the Windows PowerShell (Admin) option.
- If a User Account Control or UAC prompt appears, just click on Yes to proceed and open the Windows PowerShell window.
- Next, type in or copy-paste the following command to re-register the Microsoft Store app and tap Enter:
powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRootWinStoreAppxManifest.xml
- Wait for the process to be completed and then restart your computer.
Option 6 – Try contacting Microsoft
If none of the options worked, you might also want to contact Microsoft for further assistance in fixing the error.
On top of the “Something happened, and we couldn’t start the upgrade” error in Windows 10, if you are also facing other issues right now which has been bothering you for quite some time, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you can use. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.