What to do if you Can’t print a file and it opens the “Save as” option instead in Windows 10
As you know, Windows 10 supports a variety of peripherals which includes a long list of printers. However, a number of users reported that they encountered a glitch on their Windows 10 computers where they receive Can’t print a file and a prompt to save the Word, PDF file, and so on each time they try to print the file. This kind of issue is not common and could be due to various reasons like the malfunctioning of device drivers, misconfiguration of the printer’s settings, and so on.
There are several options you can check out to resolve the problem. You can try to run the built-in troubleshooter or check the configuration of the printer, as well as update or reinstall the driver for printers or reset the printer. For more details, refer to each one of the options provided below and make sure to follow them carefully.
Option 1 – Run the Printer Troubleshooter
One of the first basic troubleshooting you can perform to resolve the printer issue is running the Printer Troubleshooter. This built-in troubleshooter can detect and automatically fix the problem for you. To use it, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “exe /id PrinterDiagnostic” in the field and click OK or hit Enter to open the Printer Troubleshooter.
- Then click the Next button and follow the next on-screen instructions to fix the issue with the printer.
Option 2 – Try checking the printer’s configuration
The next thing you can do to fix the problem is to check the configuration of the printer since there are instances when there could be some misconfiguration with the settings of the printer that may result in several issues like this one.
- First, you need to open Control Panel and from there, look for the option Devices and printers and open it.
- After that, right-click on the entry of your printer that you want to use in printing documents and select the Set as a default printer option.
- You could also try to open PDF and then go to the Print dialog box and uncheck the Print to file option.
Option 3 – Try to update or reinstall the printer driver
The problem with your printer might also be caused by corrupted or outdated drivers. Thus, you can try to either update or reinstall it. How? Follow the steps below.
- First, click the Start button and type “device manager”.
- Then click on the “Device Manager” from the search results to open it.
- From there, look for the USB Composite Device option and right-click on it, and select the Update Driver from the options.
- Restart your PC and then click the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
- Now uninstall and remove the printer driver software and reinstall it then refresh.
Option 4 – Try to reset the settings of the Printer or reinstall it
If none of the three options given above worked, you can try to either reset the printer settings or reinstall the printer so that it can go back to its default state. However, if it doesn’t work, you can try to uninstall the printer as well as its related drivers. To do so, follow these steps:
- First, go to Settings > Devices > Printer and Scanners.
- After that, select the printer and select the Remove Device option.
- Once done, restart your computer and check again and see if the error is now fixed.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Can’t print a file, it opens Save as option error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Can’t print a file, it opens Save as option error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.