Fixing “The default gateway is not available” Error in Windows 10
If you were having some problems with your internet connection and you tried to run the Internet Connections troubleshooter but it displays an error message instead that says, “The default gateway is not available”, read on as this post will show you what you can do to fix this error.
The first thing you can do to fix this error is to restart your computer and then try to run the Internet Connections troubleshooter again. However, if you still see the same error message, then you might want to troubleshoot the problem further. You can try to install the Network driver or reinstall the Network adapter drivers. You could also verify the power saving mode or reset TCP/IP as well as disable the Firewall temporarily.
Option 1 – Try installing the Network driver
The very first thing you can do to resolve the error is to install the network driver. It is a common solution to this kind of problem and most users encounter it right after a fresh installation of Windows 10. So if you have done this, then you need to install the network driver so that the network adapters can start working. You can find the network driver in the motherboard CD. On the other hand, if you are using a laptop, you might have to use another computer or mobile to download the network driver from the manufacturer’s website.
Option 2 – Update the Network Adapter drivers
If the first option is not applicable to you since you already have network drivers in your computer, you might want to update the Network Adapter drivers by following these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch the Run window and then type in the “msc” command and hit Enter to open the Device Manager window.
- Under the Device Manager, you will see a list of drivers. From there, look for the Network Adapters and expand them.
- Then right-click on each one of the Network drivers and update them all.
- Restart your PC and see if it helped in fixing the BSOD error.
Note: If updating the network drivers didn’t help in fixing the “Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter” error, you can also try to uninstall the very same drivers and restart your Windows 10 PC. After that, the system itself will reinstall the drivers you just uninstalled. Alternatively, you can also download and install the drivers from the manufacturer’s website directly.
You could also try to reinstall the network adapter driver, refer to these steps:
- Open the Devices Manager from the Win X Menu.
- Then locate the device drivers and right-click on them to open the Properties.
- After that, switch to the Driver tab and click on the Uninstall Device button.
- Follow the screen option to completely uninstall it.
- Finally, restart your computer. It will just reinstall the device drivers automatically.
Option 3 – Try to verify power-saving mode
If you are using a Windows 10 laptop, then you should know that the Power Options panel plays an important role. So if you’re getting an error in your laptop, you have to check some settings that are related to the Power Saving mode. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Control Panel and go to Hardware and Sound and click on Power Options.
- Next, click on the “Change plan settings” option of your selected plan and then click the “Change advanced power settings” option.
- After that, you should see the Power Options window, and here, expand the Wireless Adapter Settings and Power Saving Mode.
- Now make sure that the Maximum Performance option is selected. If it’s not, select it and save the changes you’ve made.
Option 4 – Try to reset the TCP/IP
As you know, the TCP/IP or the Internet Protocol is the most important thing if you want to use the internet on your computer. That’s why if it ends up getting corrupted, you need to reset the TCP/IP to fix the problem. To reset TCP/IP, refer to these steps:
- In the Windows start the search, type “command prompt” and right-click on Command Prompt from the search results.
- Then select the “Run as administrator” option to open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After that, execute this command: netsh int ip reset resettcpip.txt
- Once it’s done, exit Command Prompt and restart your computer and then check if the error is now fixed.
Option 5 – Temporarily disable Firewall
On the other hand, the error could also be due to the Firewall software installed on your computer. Thus, disabling them or any security software installed on your computer is always a good idea you can try when you’re not able to access the shared drive on your computer. There are times when you encounter problems like the error “The default gateway is not available” due to interference of antivirus or security programs. Thus, you have to disable both your antivirus program and Windows Defender Firewall for the meantime and check if it fixes the error or not
Congratulations, you have just fixed the default gateway is not available error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the default gateway is not available error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.