How to Fix Unsupported video type or invalid file path error in Windows 10
The MP4 MIME-type is a video type that is mainly configured in IIS or Internet Information console. It is the one that instructs a web browser to use the default video application when running MP4 files from websites. MIME which stands for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions which offers a way to identify files on the Internet-based on their format and nature. For example, when a content-type header value like MP4 is defined in an HTTP response, the browser can be configured to open the file with the proper plugin. However, there are some servers that don’t have an associated MIME type to support MP4 files and so they fail to play these files. In such cases, you will encounter the “Unsupported video type or invalid file path” error, especially when you use the Internet Explorer browser in Windows 10. To fix this problem, you may have to configure the MP4 MIME type in IIS but you might find that IIS is not enabled in Windows 10 which is why you need to turn it on or enable it first. For more details, refer to the following instructions below.
Step 1 – Enable IIS:
- Open Control Panel and go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- From there, select “Turn Windows features on or off” to mark its checkbox.
- After that, select “Web Management Tools” and expand its menu and look for “IIS Management Console”.
- Click the OK button and then wait for a couple of seconds to allow Windows to successfully apply the changes made.
Step 2 – Configure the MP4 MIME type in IIS:
- Go to Control Panel and from there, access Administrative Tools.
- Next, click “Internet Information Services Manager” from the list of given options.
- Once confirmed, it will open the IIS console where you have to click the name of your IIS Server located on the left panel. This will enable several options in the central details section.
- Now double click on the icon with the label “MIME Types”.
- After that, you should see an “Add” link option on the right panel. Click on the link to open a configuration dialog box.
- Then type “.mp4” in the File Name Extension field and enter “video/mp4” in the textbox of the MIME Type.
- Click the OK button to save the changes made. This should fix the “Unsupported video type or invalid file path” error on your Windows 10 computer.
Step 3 – Reset your browsers:
- Open Firefox and click the icon that looks like three stacked lines located at the top-right section of the browser.
- Next, select the question mark icon from the drop-down menu.
- Then select “Troubleshooting information” from the slide-out menu.
- After that, click on the “Reset Firefox” button located at the top-right section of the newly opened web page.
- Now select “Reset Firefox” in the confirmation pop-up window that appears.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Next, click the wrench icon for Settings.
- Then click Internet Options.
- After that, go to the Advanced tab.
- From there, click the Reset button. This will reset Internet Explorer’s settings to their default condition.
- Now click OK to save the changes made.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Unsupported video type/invalid file path error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Unsupported video type/invalid file path error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.