How to Fix Error Code 0x80070002 in Windows 10
Error Code 0x80070002 – What is it?
Error code 0x80070002 is a Windows Update error code. It occurs due to corruption errors which result when missing files in Windows Update prevent users from accessing updates on their system. It affects Windows 10 users and presents similar symptoms as error code 0x80070003, another Windows Update error. These symptoms include the following:
- Presence of message box highlighting the name of the Windows Update error code
- The inability of users to complete updates on their system
If certain files are missing in Windows Update on your system, you will most likely experience error code 0x80070002. These missing files prevent Windows Update from functioning properly even in cases where an update is downloaded on your PC.
Further Information and Manual Repair
Manual repair methods are necessary to resolve issues related to many Windows error codes. To fix Windows Update error codes like error code 0x80070002 in Windows 10, users will need to apply several procedures that include stopping and restarting the Windows Update service.
Note that the methods listed below must be done in the order they are listed. This is because they work in conjunction with each other to repair and replace corrupted update files that may be preventing your Windows Update service from functioning correctly.
Method One: Stop Windows Update Service
Stopping the Windows Update service will enable users to begin the manual repair process. It’s crucial, to begin with, this step, as it prepares users to delete temporary update files when the Window Update service is no longer functioning correctly. These temporary files may be the source of the corruption errors resulting in error code 0x80070002. Follow the steps below to stop Windows Update and resolve the error code.
- Step one: Type Control Panel in the Search box near the Start button
- Step two: Select Control Panel
- Step three: Type Administrative Tools in the search box
- Stop four: Select Administrative Tools
- Step five: Click Services, then search for Windows Update
- Step six: Right-click Windows Update service, then select Stop
After you have successfully stopped the service, proceed by deleting temporary update files in the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Method Two: Delete Temporary Update Files in SoftwareDistribution Folder
Error code 0x80070002 is unlikely to be resolved without addressing the problems related to missing or corrupted update files. By deleting temporary update files within the SoftwareDistribution folder, you will most likely be able to fix the error code and access updates within the Windows Update service.
- Step one: Open File Explorer, then open Windows folder in drive C
- Step two: Double-click SoftwareDistribution folder
- Step three: Open the DataStore folder and delete all files within this folder
- Step four: Click Back to access the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Step five: Open the Download folder to delete all files from this folder as well
While attempting to delete these files, you may be asked to enter a password as an administrator. If this occurs, enter the required password to proceed.
Method Three: Restart Windows Update Service
Once you have logged on as an administrator and deleted appropriate update files in the SoftwareDistribution folder, follow the steps below to restart the Windows Update service.
- Step one: Type Control Panel in the Search box near the Start button.
- Step two: Select Control Panel
- Step three: Type Administrative Tools in the search box, then select Administrative Tools
- Step four: Double-click Services
- Step five: Search for the Windows Update service
- Step six: Right-click the Windows Update service, then select Start.
Once you’ve selected Start, you’ll be able to access the Windows Update service. Verify these manual methods have proven successful by restarting your PC, then check if you can access updates. If error code 0x80070002 has been resolved, you will be able to complete the download process when you attempt to access updates within Windows 10. You will also no longer see the error code 0x80070002 message box.
Congratulations, you have just fixed Error Code 0x80070002 in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix Error Code 0x80070002 in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Download and install Restoro from the official site.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Start Repair” button.