If you are a gamer, you might have encountered either the CID HANDLE CREATION
or VIDEO TDR ERROR
errors with an error code of 0x00000016 as you play a game. These kinds of Stop errors have something to do with the Graphics card driver. It could be that your Graphics card driver needs to be updated or it may be corrupted. Whichever the case is, you can try fixing this error using the given solutions below but before you proceed, make sure to create a System Restore Point first so that you can easily roll back to the previous state of your computer in case something does not go as expected.
Option 1 – Try checking if your graphics card is enabled and update it as well
Although the problem is quite massive, the fix could be as simple as enabling the graphics card if it turns out to be disabled. There might be some strange reason why your graphics card disables itself. Thus, the best and first option you can try is to check if the graphics card is enabled or not. To do so, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “devmgmt.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
- After opening the Device Manager, look for your graphics card option among the list of device drivers. Once you found it, check if it is enabled or not. If it’s not enabled, you should see a gray arrow pointing downwards. Right-click on the card and select Enabled.
- Next, right-click on the graphics card once more and click on the Update Driver Software option and then click on the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
Option 2 – Reinstall the Graphics card drivers
- Tap Win + R to open Run then type “devmgmt.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Device Manager.
- From there, look for the Display adapters and uninstall each one of the graphics card drivers by right-clicking on them and selecting the Uninstall device option.
- After uninstalling the graphics card drivers, close the Device Manager and tap Win + R to open Run once again.
- After that, type “appwiz.cpl” in the field and hit Enter to open Programs & Features in the Control Panel.
- Next, look for any program that’s related to your GPU manufacturers like Nvidia, AMD, or Intel. Right-click on any GPU-related entry and click on Uninstall to uninstall them and then follow the next on-screen instructions that appear afterward.
- Now restart your computer.
- Once your computer has restarted, go to the GPU manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver version for your graphics card model and then install it.
- Restart your computer once again. That should fix the problem.
Option 3 – Try reinstalling the game
If updating and reinstalling your Graphics card driver didn’t help, then you can try to reinstall the game where you’re getting the CID HANDLE CREATION
or VIDEO TDR ERRORS
Option 4 – Uninstall the programs you installed recently
Chances are, some programs that you just installed might be the one that’s causing the BSOD error. Thus, you need to uninstall the program to resolve the problem.
- In the search box, type in “control” and then click on Control Panel (desktop app) among the search results.
- After that, select Programs and Features from the list which will give you a list of all the programs installed on your computer.
- From there, look for the concerned program and select it and then uninstall it.
If you have downloaded the app from the Windows Store, you can simply right-click on it from the application list and then uninstall it. In addition, you might also want to check the hardware components of your computer that might not support the operating system itself. You can disconnect all the external devices like USB drives, scanners, printers, etc., and then reboot your PC. After that, add the devices again one after the other and check if the BSOD error is now fixed or not.
Option 5 – Try disabling your monitor’s Sleep functionality
There are times when the Sleep functionality of your monitor can also cause BSOD errors like CID HANDLE CREATION
or VIDEO TDR
errors. There are also times when the graphics card is running in the background and the display goes to sleep and then it’s turned back on but you encounter this kind of Blue Screen error. This is why you can try to disable your computer monitor’s Sleep mode.
Option 6 – Run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter
The Blue Screen troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows 10 that helps users in fixing BSOD errors like CID HANDLE CREATION
or VIDEO TDR
errors. It can be found on the Settings Troubleshooters page. To use it, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys to open the Settings panel.
- Then go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- From there, look for the option called “Blue Screen” on your right-hand side and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter and then follow the next on-screen options. Note that you might have to boot your PC into Safe Mode.
Option 7 – Try to run the Chkdsk utility
Running the CHKDSK utility might also help you resolve the CID HANDLE CREATION
or VIDEO TDR
errors. If your hard drive has issues with integrity, the update will really fail as the system will think that it’s not healthy and that’s where the CHKDSK utility comes in. The CHKDSK utility repairs hard drive errors that might be causing the problem.
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After opening Command Prompt, execute the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /f /r
- Wait for the process to be completed and then restart your computer.