Fixing “The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library” Error in Windows 10
If you receive an error message that says, “Entry point not found, The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library” on your Windows 10 PC, then you will find this post useful for this will provide you some potential fixes to fix the error.
This kind of error can occur if a program fails to locate the DLL library that it needs in order to run. It can also occur if the library is not in the specified directory in the path or if the DLL file has gone missing or has become corrupted.
To fix the “The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library” error, check out the following options given below.
Option 1 – Try to reinstall the program
The first thing you can do to resolve the error is uninstall the program that throws the error and download its latest version from its official site and then install it again.
Option 2 – Run System File Checker scan
If reinstalling the program didn’t work, you can also try running the System File Checker or SFC scan to fix the error. System File Checker is a command utility built into your computer that helps restore corrupted files and missing files. Refer to the following steps to run it:
- Hit the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
The command will start a system scan which will take a few while before it finishes. Once it’s done, you could get the following results:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Reboot your computer.
Option 3 – Try checking the details in the Event Viewer
The Event Viewer can also help you resolve the error as it contains detailed information about the error that could help you pin point its root cause and resolve it.
Option 4 – Try to re-register the problematic DLL file
You may have to re-register the ntdll.dll file using the regsvr32.exe before you can successfully install the program and fix the error. The Regsvr32 tool is a command-line utility that can be used to register and un-register OLE controls as DLL and ActiveX (OCX) controls in the Windows operating system. Follow the steps below to use it.
- Open Command Prompt as admin from the WinX menu.
- Next, type the following commands in the elevated Command Prompt and hit Enter to execute the command. This will re-register the affected DLL file using the Windows operating system tool, regsvr32.exe.
- exe /[DLL file]
- exe [DLL file]
Note: Replace “[DLL file]” with the name of the DLL file that was pointed out in the error.
- After you execute the given commands, you should see a message saying, “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded” if the Regsvr32 tool was able to run successfully. After that, try to install the program again and see if it now works.
Option 5 – Try to replace the DLL file from a trusted source
- First, you need to get the new DLL file from another computer with preferably the same file version number.
- After that, you need to boot your PC into Safe Mode and navigate to the paths listed below and then replace the file using a USB drive or other external storage devices.
- x86: This PC > C:WindowsSystem32
- x64: This PC > C:WindowsSysWOW64
- Next, type “cmd” in the Cortana search box and right click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator” to open it with administrator privileges.
- Now type the “regsvr32 ntdll.dll” command and hit Enter.
- Restart your PC and check if the error is now fixed.
Option 6– Try to scan your computer using Windows Defender
It is also possible that the DLL file might be infected with malware or virus which could explain why you’re getting the error. Thus, you have to scan your computer using security programs like Windows Defender.
- Tap the Win + I keys to open Update & Security.
- Then click on the Windows Security option and open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Next, click on Virus & threat protection > Run a new advanced scan.
- Now make sure that Full Scan is selected from the menu and then click the Scan Now button to get started.
Moreover, if the DLL file is really infected with some virus or malware, aside from Windows Defender you need to run a reliable program like Restoro. This program helps in fixing not just a lot of system issues on Windows 10 but is also efficient in removing any malware in your computer. This program is a one-click solution that helps in fixing lots of system issues such as corrupted files, corrupted registries and it also helps in optimizing your PC’s overall performance as it cleans out any junk files in your computer and other system issues that causes your PC to slow down. To use this efficient tool, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.