Fix Burn process failed – Power Calibration Error or Medium Speed Error when burning CD/DVD in Windows 10
If you are one of the few users who is still burning CDs and DVDs, you might have come across an error that says, “Medium Speed Error” or “Power Calibration Error”. There are several factors that could cause this error but it’s most likely that the CD/DVD burner wasn’t able to determine the Optimum Power Calibration rate properly.
So what is Optimum Power Calibration rate? It is a test that runs before the burning process to regulate the optimal laser power needed to complete the job. And if this process malfunctions, obviously, you won’t be able to burn the content on your CD or DVD. There are also cases when the Power Calibration error pops up for some small issues that have nothing to do with the regulation of laser power.
Here are some quick fixes you can try to resolve the Power Calibration error when burning a CD or DVD.
Option 1 – Make sure you’re using good quality CD or DVD
A lot of burning issues stems down to the purchase of low CDs or DVDs to make sure that what you are using has good quality for it is not always a good idea to purchase cheap products as cheap products could also mean cheap quality.
Option 2 – Try burning at lower speeds
If you’re certain the problem is not with the CD or DVD you are using then you can try burning again, this time at lower speeds. There are instances when doing things quickly can end in a disaster such as the “Medium Speed Error” or “Power Calibration Error” you’re getting. To fix the problem, you have to burn at a slower speed and just take the time to wait until the burning process is done.
Option 3 – Try updating your burning software
It’s always a good idea to check if the burning software you’re using requires an update especially if it’s throwing up “Medium Speed Error” or “Power Calibration Error”. Thus, you need to update your burning software right away and then try to burn your CD or DVD once the update has been completed.
Option 4 – Try cleaning the disk drive
You might want to consider cleaning the disk drive using several tools in the market that is designed to clean the disk drive. These tools work on removing dust particles from the lens which helps a lot in the burning quality. Aside from that, it also helps in reducing errors like “Medium Speed Error” or “Power Calibration Error”. So give this option a try as it might time for a disk drive cleanup.
Option 5 – Try to disable the IMAPI
If none of the options given above worked, you might want to disable the IMAPI or Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface. How? Refer to the steps below.
- Open Control Panel by simply clicking the Start button and then typing “control panel” in the field.
- Control Panel should pop up in the search results. Once you found it, click it to open it.
- Next, select System Security > Administrative Tools and then click Services.
- After that, you’ll have to search for the “IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service” option.
- Then right click on it and select Properties.
- From there, switch the Startup Type from “Enabled” to “Disabled”.
- Now click on Apply and then restart your PC.
You might also want to consider using a one-click solution software to help you fix not just the “Medium Speed Error” or “Power Calibration Error” or the Burn process failed error but also other system issues. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions for downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://errortools.com/download/restoro in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.