What to do if the Scroll bar in Chrome is missing in Windows 10
If you find that the scroll bar in your Google Chrome browser is missing all of a sudden, and it becomes difficult for you to scroll down the web page and see its content, worry not for this post will guide you on what you can do to resolve this problem.
Usually, when the mouse cursor stays hidden in the corner and only appears when you point it to the edge of the screen. However, there are instances when it won’t appear which makes navigating the web page you are visiting quite impossible. So if you encounter this kind of strange behavior on your Google Chrome browser, there are several suggestions you can check out to resolve it. In most cases, updating the browser resolves the problem, but if it does not, you can try restoring the browser’s settings to its default state by resetting Chrome or you could also disable hardware acceleration or disable the overlay scrollbars flag. For more information, follow each one of the options provided below.
Option 1 – Reset Google Chrome
Before you proceed, make sure that the Chrome browser is not running anywhere in the background via Task Manager. Once you’ve made sure that it’s no longer running, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “%USERPROFILE%AppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser Data” in the field and tap Enter to open this location.
- From there, look for the Default folder and then tap the Shift + Delete button and if a confirmation prompt appears, click on Yes.
- After deleting the Default folder, open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots icon location in the top-right corner to open menu.
- Next, click on Settings and scroll down and then click on Advanced to open the Advanced Settings.
- Then scroll down until you see the “Reset and clean up” section and click the “Restore Settings to their original defaults” option.
- After that, you will see a confirmation box and from there, click on the Reset settings button to reset your Google Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Try to disable the Hardware Acceleration
For better performance, Google Chrome uses the Hardware Acceleration by default. Unfortunately, there are just some cases when your hardware, GPU to be specific, might not be able to cope with the requirements, resulting to the black screen issue. And if this is your case, you should try to disable the hardware acceleration from your Google Chrome browser settings panel. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Open the Google Chrome settings page.
- Click on the Advanced button to get more options.
- Look for the option called “Use hardware acceleration when available” and then disable it by toggling the button to the left.
- After that, check if the screen flickering issue in Chrome is fixed.
Option 3 – Try to disable “Smooth Scrolling” in Chrome
Disabling “Smooth Scrolling” in Chrome might also help you fix the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome and type “chrome://flags” and hit Enter.
- Next, look for a flag named “Smooth Scrolling”. You can scroll down until you find it or search it in the Search Flag bar. Note that Smooth Scrolling is enabled by default in the newer versions of Chrome.
- After that, select the drop-down menu and select Disabled.
- Then click on the “Relaunch Now” button.
The given potential fixes above should resolve the missing scroll bar problem of Google Chrome in your Windows 10 computer. Apart from this problem, if your computer is experiencing other issues as well, there is also another option that might help. Often referred to as a
one-click solution, what makes this program better than other system utility tools or antivirus programs is that aside from helping you free up disk usage and memory in your computer, it helps you in fixing whatever issue your system is facing. This program is known as Restoro and is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance, including Blue Screen of Death errors. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.