How to Fix Slow file copy speed in Windows 10
We tend to move and copy tons of files in our PCs and mostly, the process of copying or moving files, especially if the file has the size of 1GB or up, tends to take quite long. This may be caused by some issues which is why you face slow copy or move speed. So if you are experiencing this issue on your Windows 10 computer, then read on as this post will give you a couple of solutions you can try to increase the speed in copying or moving files. Follow the given instructions below.
Option 1 – Try to change the USB port
You might want to change the USB port since modern computers have a variety of USB ports. So if your USB drive supports USB 3.0 or 3.1, make sure that you plug it inside a USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports. If you’re not sure which port, just keep in mind that USB 3 port is usually blue or you can also use your computer’s documentation or manual as a reference to locate it. It may sound nothing but changing USB port can actually improve the copying or moving speeds drastically so this should be the first thing you can try to speed up the process of copying or moving files.
Option 2 – Update the USB Controller Drivers
- First, click the Start button and type “device manager”.
- Then click on the “Device Manager” from the search results to open it.
- From there, look for the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” option and then right click on each one of the USB drivers and select the Update Driver from the menu.
- Restart your PC and then click the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
You also have the option to update the motherboard and the USB driver from the manufacturer’s official website.
Option 3 – Check for any hard disk errors
- On your desktop, right click on the “This PC” or computer icon and then select Manage to open the Disk Management. Here you get to check your drive’s health.
- Next, click on Disk Management on the left side panel.
- From there, check the state of your drives. If it shows that all your partitions are healthy then it means all is good and that the problem may have something to do with some physical issues with your hard drive.
You might also want to run the CHKDSK utility to help you fix any issues with your hard disk. If your hard drive has issues with integrity, the update will really fail as the system will think that it’s not healthy and that’s where the CHKDSK utility comes in. The CHKDSK utility repairs hard drive errors that might be causing the problem.
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After opening Command Prompt, execute the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /f /r
- Wait for the process to be completed and then restart your computer.
Option 4 – Try to disable Windows Auto Tuning
Disabling Windows Auto Tuning can also help in increasing the copying or moving of files in your computer. It is said that this feature improves the performance of programs that receive TCP data over a network by adjusting the receive buffer size dynamically throughput and latency of the link. Thus, if you are trying to copy some data over the network, then the Auto Tuning feature is playing a role here. And in some cases, disabling this feature completely resulted in a lot faster copy speeds over the network.
Option 5 – Try changing the USB Removal Policy
- First, plug your USB drive or external device to your PC and then open This PC.
- Next, right click on your device and select Properties.
- After that, go to the hardware tab and select the storage media that you want to enhance and then click on the Properties button.
- From there, you can select the Better performance option if you wish to your device to have a better performance. Once you select this option, it will enable write caching in your Windows 10 computer but you need to use the “Safely Remove Hardware” option from the notification area to safely disconnect the device otherwise it may result to data corruption.
Option 6 – Format your drive
- To get started formatting your drive, tap the Win + E keys and then go the access page of the drive.
- Next, right click on the drive and select Format.
- After that, uncheck the “Quick Format” option and then format your drive properly.
- Now once the formatting process is finished, unplug the drive and plug it back in afterwards.
- Check if the error is already fixed. If the drive is not initialized, tap the Win + R keys and hit Enter.
- After opening the Run dialog box, type “diskmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open Disk Management.
- From there, right click on the drive volume and select initialize Disk.
- Next, select the correct partition type and proceed.
In addition, if you want to improve not just the speed when copying or moving files but to also improve the overall performance of your computer, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve this issue. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://errortools.com/download/restoro in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.