If you suddenly encounter an error message saying, “File record segment is unreadable” in a blue screen while booting your PC, it means that your hard drive is in an error state. This particular blue screen of death error might have a lot of bad sectors or might have reached its end.
The workarounds you can try to resolve the issue is by locating the bad sectors or checking your hard drive for any discrepancies in the mapping and fix them. Follow the detailed instructions laid out below for these workarounds.
Option 1 – Try to check for any bad sectors and wrong configurations in your hard drive
The first thing you that you have to check is the boot files in your PC. As you know, your PC boots from these files and if there is anything wrong with any one of them or if one of them ends up getting corrupted, you will most likely see the blue screen of death error or a prompt with an error message saying, “File record segment is unreadable”. According to some users who reported this issue, new hard drives aren’t exempted to this error. That’s why it is recommended that you carry out this solution no matter what kind of scenario you are in. You will have to launch the Command Prompt in a recovery mode and see if you can fix the problem by executing the check disk commands.
- Upon booting, restart your PC and tap F11 to go to the recovery environment then select Troubleshoot.
- Next, click Advanced from the given options and select Command Prompt.
- After opening Command Prompt, execute the commands listed below and don’t forget to hit Enter right after you type in each one of them and if you have installed Windows to some different directory, you must replace “C” with the name of the drive you’ve installed Windows with.
- chkdsk C: /r /x
- chkdsk C: /f
Note: The Chkdsk function might take a while before it finishes its operations so you need to be patient and wait until the entire process is completed. And depending on the situation, it might even take a day at most so patience is really the key here.
Option 2 – Try connecting the hard drive to a different computer
If option 1 didn’t work for you and you’re still seeing the error, you can try connecting the hard drive to a different computer and then copy the data first. Make it a priority to salvage the data just in case the hard drive won’t make it in the future.
After replicating your hard drive, you can then try running the chkdsk commands that are listed in option 1 above in the new computer you’re connecting your hard drive to and make sure that you key in the correct drive letter that’s assigned to the hard drive you’re using. After executing the chkdsk commands, plug your hard drive back into the previous computer and then check if you can now boot it without any issues.
Option 3 – Try running [product-name]
Aside from the above mentioned solutions, you can also try a fix that could help you fix not just the “File record segment is unreadable” error but also other system issues in your Windows 10 PC. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions for downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using [product-code]. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot it.
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit Enter.
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, [product-url] in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run [product-code] to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.
Option 4 – Replace the faulty hard drive
If none of the options provided above really worked out then maybe it’s time to consider getting a replacement for your hard drive. In about 50% of the cases about this error, some unfortunate users were left with no choice but to replace the hard drive since the problem is with the hard drive itself. Hard drives have a complex running mechanism which includes a head and the disk that rotates accordingly so you can check if the cables connected to the hard drive are connected properly and if it is in a correct position or not. In addition, you also have to make sure that the SATA adapters where the hard drive is connected are working properly.
If the drive is showing problems in the I/O operation, there is little change for you to use it like a normal hard drive. If the hard drive is in warranty, get it checked and replace it. If not, you might consider taking it to the service center for the specialists to take a look into it.