Error Code 52 – What is it?
Error Code 52 is a device driver problem that users experience on any Windows 2000 operating system and later Windows systems.
The error occurs when the operating system prevents the peripheral device connected to the computer from functioning properly and is usually displayed by the following message:
“Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)”
Error Code 52 is triggered by the following factors:
- An incomplete program uninstallation
- An incomplete program installation
- Hardware is not removed properly
- System recovery from viruses
- An improper system shut down
Further Information and Manual Repair
Error Code 52 can pose severe risks to the overall health of your PC and any negligence in fixing it can be disastrous for your computer.
However, since the error code is like other device driver errors, resolving the error is relatively straightforward. Here are a few methods to resolve the error code.
Method 1 – Use System Restore
You can use system restore to roll back the system to a time when there was no error to eliminate the problem. Here is how you can use it:
- Log in using an Administrator account
- Click ‘Start’ button and select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
- Click ‘Restore my computer to an earlier time’ and click ‘Next’
- Select the last Windows restore point from the ‘On this list, click a restore point’ list, and click ‘Next’
- Click ‘Next’ on the confirmation window to proceed
- Restart your PC after restoration is complete
By restoring the system via a last saved system checkpoint, you can obtain undamaged Windows system registry files that can help avert the error code.
Method 2 – Run the Troubleshooting Wizard
If restarting your PC does not help, you will have to find the exact nature of the problem by running the troubleshooting wizard for the device and address the problem accordingly. To do this, proceed with the following steps:
- Run Device Manager on your PC
- Click on the program under the installed programs that are creating problems for you
- Click on the ‘General’ Tab
- Click ‘Troubleshoot’
- Upon opening, the Troubleshooting Wizard will ask a series of questions regarding the error. Answer the questions and follow its directions for solving the error code.
After following the directions of the Troubleshooting wizard, make sure to restart your PC for the changes to take effect. Then check if your device is still causing problems.
Method 3 – Manually uninstall and reinstall the device driver
Uninstalling and then reinstalling the device driver can help solve the error.
You can do this by firstly logging in as Administrator and open Device Manager. Select the device that is causing the problem and double click it and make sure that the peripheral is connected properly to the PC.
Upon opening, click on the ‘Driver’ tab and then select ‘Update Driver’. Make sure to refer to the system documentation that you received with your PC or computer to check for the motherboard details and driver specifics.
Method 4 – Use software to automatically download the driver
Manually uninstalling and reinstalling the driver will do the trick, however, it may be time-consuming especially when you would have to resort to your hardware user manual.
Therefore, using a program such as DriverFIX can save you a lot of time and frustration in having your device work properly on your computer.
DriverFIX, with its user-friendly approach to help you fix your PC issues, comes with an integrated database that detects which drivers you need to reconfigure within just a few seconds and downloads it automatically.
It further ensures that your drivers are installed in their entirety leaving no room for any incomplete files to remain that create Error Code 52.
It also has the added advantage of being able to backup and restores your files should there be the slightest possibility of system file damage. DriverFIX is the answer to fixing your PC error codes accurately and quickly.
Click here to download DriverFIX to fix Error Code 52 quickly and effectively!