How to Fix Black border or bar on Monitor in Windows 10
If you suddenly see a black border in your computer’s display then you might be wondering how come this happened but worry not for this post will give you a couple of suggestions that could help you resolve the problem.
The black bar could appear at the bottom or just the sides of the screen. Whichever it may be, there are options you can check out. Refer to the options givens below and make sure to follow them carefully.
Option 1 – Try checking the screen resolution
You might want to try checking the resolution of your screen.
- Open the Windows 10 Settings and go to Display.
- Next, go for the “100% (Recommended)” option under Scale and layout for the size of the text, apps, and other items.
- After that, select the Recommended setting again under Resolution.
Now check to see if the black bars are still there. They should be gone at this point, but if for some strange reason nothing has changed, then attempt the steps below.
Option 2 – Try updating Graphics & Monitor drivers
You might want to try updating your graphics and monitor drivers if you haven’t updated them for some time now. To do that, refer to these steps:
- First, boot your computer into Safe Mode.
- After that, tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in devmgmt.msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, a list of device drivers will be displayed. From there, look for the Graphics drivers or the Monitor drivers and then click each one of them.
- After that, right-click on each entry and select the “Uninstall Device” option from the menu.
- Now restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, go to the Settings app and Check for Updates in the Windows Update section.
Note: You can also try to roll back the graphics and monitor drivers back to their previous versions if updating them didn’t work. You can also try visiting the manufacturer’s website and download the graphics or monitor driver setup for your operating system.
Option 3 – Try to run the DISM tool
You can also run the DISM Tool as it might also help in getting rid of the black border or bar on your Windows 10 computer. Using this built-in tool, you have various options such as the “/ScanHealth”, “/CheckHealth”, and “/RestoreHealth” which could help you resolve the problem.
- Open the Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- Then type in the following commands and make sure to hit Enter right after you type each one of them:
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Do not close the window if the process takes a while as it will probably take a few minutes to finish.
Option 4 – Troubleshot the problem in a Clean Boot State
There are some instances that some conflicting programs installed in your computer might be the one that’s causing the Black border issue. To identify which program is causing the problem, you need to put your computer in a Clean Boot State. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Log onto your PC as an administrator.
- Type in MSConfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- From there, start to isolate the problem by checking which one of the programs you installed recently is the root cause of the problem.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Black border or bar on Monitor in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Black border or bar on Monitor in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.