Hide application and features in control panel in Windows 10
Program and features are Control panel section where once accessed contains all programs installed on the operating system. From these windows, any logged-in user can modify applications, uninstall them, etc. If for whatever reason you want to limit this access to users and remove this group from the control panel please do keep reading as we show you how you can achieve this desired result using two methods: via policy editor or registry editor. Feel free to use any provided method as both works (except on Windows 10 Home edition) and achieve the same thing, it all comes down to preferred preference on how you wish to do things.
Local group policy editor method
This method is more straightforward and easier perhaps than its counterpart but it has one significant drawback, it will not work on Windows 10 Home edition which does not have in itself a policy editor included. If you are using Windows 10 Home edition then feel free to skip this method and do it via registry editor. That being said let’s start:
- Press ⊞ WINDOWS + R to open the run dialog
- Inside run dialog type in gpedit.msc followed by ENTER to open Group policy editor
- Go to User Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Control Panel\ Programs\
- Double-click on the setting named Hide Programs and Features page
- Change the toggle option from Not Configured to Enabled
- Click on the Apply button and then the Ok button to save the changes
- at this point, everything is supposed to be applied and your changes should take effect immediately. However, it has come to our attention that sometimes this is not the case. If you are one of these users which for whatever reason have not experienced applying to set momentarily do not despair and follow this quick guide on how to refresh settings and apply them right away.
- Press ⊞ WINDOWS + X to open the hidden menu
- Click on command prompt (admin)
- In command prompt type in gpupdate /force and press ENTER in order to force update and set setting right away
Registry editor method
The registry editor method is a more complex one but it will be your only way of doing it if as mentioned you are running Windows 10 Home edition. As always it is highly recommended to make a backup of the Windows registry before tempering with it.
- Press ⊞ WINDOWS + R to open the run dialog
- Inside run dialog type in regedit and press ENTER to open the registry editor
- If you would like to make a backup of the Windows registry go to File > Export and save the backup on a secure location naming it as you wish
- Locate the following key inside the registry editor HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Programs
- Right-click on the right pane of the Programs key and choose the New > DWORD (32-bit) Value option
- Name the value as NoProgramsAndFeatures
- Double-click on the NoProgramsAndFeatures value to open it
- Change the value data to 1
- Save the changes
- Reboot the computer in order for changes to take effect.
note: you can always change values back in order to show again panel by changing the value to 0 in registry editor or choosing Not Configured or Disabled in the local group policy editor
Congratulations, you have just Hidden application and features in the control panel in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you Hide application and features in the control panel in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Download and install Restoro from the official site.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Start Repair” button.