Fixing corrupted system files in Windows 10
Windows has a lot of built-in tools that help you fix tons of system-related issues. One of them is the System File Check which is tool you can use to conveniently replace potentially corrupted or missing system files with good ones. But what happens when it does not work? Well, you’ve come to the right place as in this post, you will be guided on how you can replace a corrupted single Windows system file manually with a known good copy of the file if the System File Checker scan is not working.
When you encounter this issue with the System File Checker, it will be unable to replace the corrupted system files and returns an error message instead. And so to fix and replace corrupted system files in your Windows 10 computer without the help of System File Checker, you can refer to the instructions provided below.
Step 1: First, you need to open the log files listed below and identify which particular file has been corrupted:
- Log %WinDir%LogsCBSCBS.log
Step 2: You will see all the details on the given log files. Once you find out the name and the path of the file, you have to take ownership of this corrupted system file.
Step 3: To take ownership of the corrupted file, you need to pull up Command Prompt by tapping Win + R keys on your keyboard and then type “cmd” and tap Enter.
Step 4: After opening Command Prompt, type and enter the command below to execute it:
takeown /f FileNameAndPath
Note: In the given command, “FileNameAndPath” represents the name and the path of the corrupted file. For instance, the corrupted file is named “wuapi.dll”, then you need to type “takeown /f C:WindowsSystem32wuapi.dll”
Step 5: Next, you need to grant administrators full access & control to the corrupted file and you can do that via Command Prompt again.
Step 6: In the elevated Command Prompt, type and enter the following command to execute it:
icacls FileNameAndPath /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
Note: We’re going to use the wuapi.dll again as an example. So the command should be like this: icacls “C:WindowsSystem32wuapi.dll /grant administrators:F”.
Step 7: Now all that’s left to do is replace the corrupted system file with a good copy from a trusted source. Once you have a copy, open an elevated Command Prompt again and execute the following command:
copy NewFileLocation FileNameAndPath
Note: In the command given above, the “NewFileLocation” is the location where you have saved the copy of the file. For instance, if you’ve saved it on your desktop, this is how it should look: “copy C:Users<username>Desktopwuapi.dll C:windowssystem32wuapi.dll”
And that’s how you fix corrupted system files if the System File Checker scan didn’t work. On the other hand, if you are also facing other issues right now which has been bothering you for quite some time, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you can use. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.