Assigning Multiple IP Addresses to a Network Adapter in Windows 10
There are times when an IT admin has to set up multiple IP addresses to the same network adapter. Setting up multiple IP addresses in scenarios like hosting various SSL sites, speed up traffic exchanges can help in avoiding being blacklisted in the SPAM filters, and so on. So in this post, you will be guided on how exactly you can assign multiple IP addresses to the network adapter in your Windows 10 computer.
There are several ways to assign multiple IP addresses in a network adapter. You can do it using the Network Adapter settings or using the Netsh utility, as well as the Windows PowerShell utility. To get started, refer to each one of the options provided below.
Option 1 – Assign multiple IP addresses via Network Adapter settings
- Go to Settings first and from there, select Network & Internet, and then click on the Change adapter options. This will show you a list of both the physical and virtual network adapters in your computer.
- Next, double click on the Ethernet adapter where you want to assign the multiple IP addresses and then click on the Properties button.
- After that, you should see the Ethernet properties where you have to select the “TCP/IPv4” or “TCP/IPv6”.
- Once done, click on the Properties button and then select the “Use the following IP address” option under the General tab.
- Now you have to add an IP address, subnet, and default gateway to the network adapter and then click on the Advanced button.
- This will open the Advanced TCP/IP settings where you have to click on the Add button so you can add an IP address. From here, you can keep adding multiple IP addresses to the network adapter. You also have the option to add multiple gateways or DNS IP addresses.
- Once done, if you execute the “ipconfig” command, you should see all the secondary IP addresses listed.
Option 2 – Assign multiple IP addresses using the Netsh command
Another way to assign multiple IP addresses to your network adapter is via the Netsh command.
- In the Start Search, type “command prompt” and from the search results that appear, right-click on Command Prompt and then select the “Run as administrator” to open it with admin privileges.
- If a User Account Control or UAC prompt pops up, just click on Yes.
- After that, run this command: Netsh int ipv4 add address name=”Local Area Connection” 192.168.100.100 255.255.255.0 SkipAsSource=True
Note: You have the option to set “SkepAsSource” since it depends on your needs using the Netsh command. When it is configured as true, the IP address won’t be used by the OS for outbound connections.
Option 3 – Assign multiple IP addresses via Windows PowerShell
- Tap the Win + X key combination and click on the “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” option.
- After opening Windows PowerShell as admin, use the NetIPAddress command so you can add more IP addresses. Execute this command: Get-NetIPAddress | ft IPAddress, InterfaceAlias, SkipAsSource
- Next, assign an IP address to a network adapter by executing this command: New-NetIPAddress –IPAddress 192.168.100.100 –PrefixLength 24 –InterfaceAlias “vEthernet” –SkipAsSource $True
- Now to modify the “SkipAsSource” parameter, use this command: Get-NetIPAddress 192.168.100.100 | Set-NetIPAddress -SkipAsSource $False
Congratulations, you have just Assigned Multiple IP Addresses to a Network Adapter in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you Assign Multiple IP Addresses to a Network Adapter in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.