Error Code 32 - What is it?
Code 32, a Device Manager error, pops up when a device driver and other required services related to the driver are disabled.
The error code 32 is usually displayed in the following format:
“A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. Code 32”
When a driver experiences a problem, it is reported to the Device Manager. Though error Code 32 does not cause detrimental damage to your system, it can cause the loss of functionality of the hardware device whose driver is disabled.
Error CausesError 32 may be generated due to several reasons. However, the most common causes include:
- The device driver is outdated
- The device is not configured as the default
- Some other device is providing default functionality
- The device driver is disabled in the registry
- Corruption of registry values in the CD ROM Drive Class registry key
Further Information and Manual Repair
If you come across error code 32 on your PC, then repair it immediately to ensure optimum PC performance. To resolve this error code, try the methods listed below. If you are not a computer programmer, don’t worry!
The listed solutions are easy to perform, require no technical background or expertise and more importantly, these solutions are very effective.
Simply follow the instructions to repair error code 32 on your system in just a few minutes.
Method 1 - Reboot Your PC
Sometimes Device Manager error codes may appear due to temporary issues, which may be resolved simply by rebooting your system. If you are lucky, this might actually work.
By restarting your PC, you might be able to get rid of error code 32. However, if the error still persists, then try other methods given below.
Method 2 - Uninstall and Reinstall the Driver
To resolve error code 32, uninstall and then reinstall the driver. To uninstall the driver, simply follow these steps:
- Go to the start menu
- Type Device Manager in the search bar and then press enter
- Now in the Device Manager, find and then double-click the category of device that you wish to uninstall, for example, click on the Display Adapter to uninstall the graphics card.
- Once you have located the device and the driver you wish to uninstall, simply right click on it and then click ‘uninstall’
- Windows will prompt you to confirm device removal changes.
- Click OK to confirm and proceed.
- After that, simply restart your system to activate changes
- To reinstall, go to the control panel and choose Add/Remove Hardware and add a new device. Follow all prompts to reinstall the device.
Method 3 - Delete Both the Upper Filters and Lower Filters Registry Values
As discussed above, sometimes error code 32 may be triggered due to corruption of registry values.
If this is the underlying cause, then delete both the upper filters and lower filters registry values from the registry. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes. Here’s what you have to do:
- Go to the start menu
- Type Regedit in the search box and then press enter
- Now locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder under ‘My Computer’
- Click the |> or (+) icon next to the folder name to expand
- Here you will see a long list of subkeys
- Locate the correct class GUID for the problematic device
- Now click the registry subkey that corresponds to the device class GUID
- Locate the Upper Filters and Lower Filter values and delete
- Close the registry editor
- Restart your PC to activate changes
This will hopefully resolve error code 32 on your system if the error was generated due to registry value corruption. However, if the error continues to appear, then resort to method 4.
Method 4 - Update the Problematic Driver
Locate the problematic drivers and update them with the latest versions. This procedure is effective but time-consuming if performed manually.
It takes several minutes to identify problematic drivers and find the latest and compatible versions for each driver on the manufacturers’ website. And besides, you will have to perform updates continuously to ensure the error doesn’t occur again.
Method 5 - Download DriverFIX to Update Drivers Automatically
To avoid the hassle, download DriverFIX.
This is a cutting-edge and user-friendly software program embedded with intelligent system programming and intuitive technology that identifies problematic drivers and updates them with the latest and compatible driver versions in seconds, automatically and on a regular basis.
By installing it on your PC, you can update all the drivers and repair code 32 in no time.
Click here to download DriverFIX to resolve Device Manager error code 32 today!