What to do if Mfplat.dll is missing or was not found in Windows 10
One of the primary package that installs the Windows Media Player is the Media Feature Pack among other related files that are needed by the associated software products. And one of the essential DLL files in that package is the mfplat.dll file which is needed by various games and streaming services. So if this DLL file goes missing, you will most likely encounter any of the following error messages:
- “mfplat.dll missing”
- “The application failed to start because mfplat.dll was not found.”
- “The program can’t start because mfplat.dll is missing from your computer.”
In other circumstance, the Media Feature Package does not come pre-installed with the main Windows package especially for those who use Windows N, thereby causing the error to pop up. The main cause of this problem is that users who use Windows 10 N does not have the Media Feature pack pre-installed with the installation package. Aside from that, the installation package could go missing after a few Windows Updates or if you have uninstalled it by accident. To resolve this problem, you need to check out each one of the given options below.
Option 1 – Try to enable Media Playback via Command Prompt
If you encounter the mfplat.dll missing error when you attempt to run PLEX or other similar streaming service and you’ve already verified that the Media Feature Pack is indeed installed, you might want to try enabling it using an elevated Command Prompt. There are cases when a particular Windows Update ends up disabling the feature and creates the grounds which results to the mfplat.dll missing error. Thus, you can have to enable the feature via Command Prompt.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “cmd” in the field and hit Enter to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Next, click on Yes if a User Account Control prompt pops up.
- After opening Command Prompt, copy and paste the following command and hit Enter to execute it:
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:MediaPlayback
- Close Command Prompt and then open the app once again to check if the problem is now fixed.
Option 2 – Try installing the Media Feature Pack for Windows 10 N version
As mentioned, the Windows 10 N version does not come with Windows Media Player. Meaning to say, the Media Feature Pack is also not installed by default or won’t be updated by the Windows Update component. So if you are not quite sure what Windows 10 version you currently have installed, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Windows key + S and then type “about” in the search box.
- From the search results, click on the “About your PC” to open the About tab of the Settings app.
- Afterwards, scroll down to the Windows specifications and check your Windows version under Edition.
Note: If you have verified that your PC is using the Windows 10 N version, you need to install the appropriate Media Feature Pack for your computer. How? Refer to the steps below:
- Click this link to download and install the Media Feature Pack from Microsoft’s official website.
- Upon installation, select the edition you want to install using the drop-down menu and then click on Confirm. Take note that there are few reasons why you’d want to install the older version since most streaming service like PLEX and most games usually require version 1803.
- After that, wait until the request is validated. The download should begin in a few minutes automatically.
- Once the download is completed, open the installation executable file and follow the next on-screen instructions to install the Media Feature Pack in your computer.
- Restart your computer. After your computer has rebooted, open the application where you’re getting the mfplat.dll missing error and then check if the problem is now fixed.
Option 3 – Try to extract a copy of the mfplat.dll file from the windows.old directory
If you encounter the error shortly after you just upgraded to Windows 10 from an older version, the best thing you can do resolve the problem is to use the windows.old directory to fetch an old copy of the mfplat.dll file. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Go to the Windows drive and then look for the windows.old directory where it preserves a copy of your old operating system as well as associated files in case something goes out of hand during the upgrade process.
- After that, open the windows.old folder and then go to the syswow64 folder.
- Next, from the syswow64 folder, copy the mfplat.dll file and paste it to C: windows syswow64.
- Restart your computer and check if the error is now resolved or not.
If the fixes given above didn’t help you in fixing the problem with the mfplat.dll file or with the Media Feature Package in Windows 10, worry not, as there is still another option that could help you. This option is Restoro, also known as a “one-click” solution. What makes Restoro better than other system utility tools or antivirus programs is that aside from helping you free up disk usage and memory in your computer, it helps you in fixing whatever issue your system is facing. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, follow the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.