How to fix windows 10 error code 0x80073712
Windows 10 has displayed one of the most efficient and user-friendly interfaces. However there have been many issues on the backend of this commonly praised operating system: For example, Windows Update is still a wonky and error-laded system application. One example of this error is Windows Update Error 0x80073712 which stands in the way of users just wanting to keep their PCs updated hassle-free.
The error code 0x80073712 signifies that a file needed by Windows Update to function is either damaged, missing, or corrupted. However, this does not mean that your Windows version will forever stay as-is with no mode to update it. Windows Update Error 0x80073712 is perfectly fixable with the set of provided steps below and some of Windows’ built-in troubleshooting steps:
Solution 1: Open Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Open the Windows Update Troubleshooter by pressing the Window Key and “S” keys simultaneously.
- Enter the word “Troubleshoot” in the search box and select the Troubleshoot result
- On the new window, select “Windows Update” to troubleshoot.
- Run the troubleshooter, then open Windows Update and try to install the update again.
Solution 2: Run the DISM tool
- Open the command prompt by pressing Windows Key and “S” key simultaneously
- Enter “cmd” in the search box. Right Click command prompt among the results and select “Run as administrator”
- In the Command Prompt window type the following and press the Enter key after every command
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
- Run Windows Update again.
Solution 3: Rename the Software Distribution folder
- Open the command prompt as previously mentioned
- Input the following command pressing Enter after every line
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
rename c:windowsSoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Restart the PC and run the updater if it works again.
Solution 4: Restart Windows Update Services
- Press the Windows logo key and R together to open Run -> Input services.msc -> and press Enter
- Search for the Windows Update service -> Check its status
- If it is not indicated, right-click on the service and select Start to force start your Windows Update
- If you see an error, locate the Startup Type option and set it to Automatic
- Now you should reboot your computer and see if your Windows Update is OK
Solution 5: Fix Registry Issues
If after all the aforementioned solutions, you still experience problems with Windows Update, the problem may lie in the registry that is either damaged or corrupted. You may choose to do manual editing of your Windows registry by opening your Windows registry editor. But doing so is risky as one wrong letter may do incalculable damage to your system. To do so safely for more inexperienced users., we recommend using a third-party registry cleaner/tools, many of which can be found online.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80073712 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80073712 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.