Fixing Boot Configuration Data is missing or contains errors, Error code 0xc0000185 in Windows 10
This post will guide you in fixing a particular problem where your Windows 10 computer does not even let you turn it on and it appears as soon as it starts to boot the operating system and it displays an error message that says, “The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors, Error code 0xc0000185”. On the other hand, it may also display a different error message saying, “The operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors”.
There are various suggestions you can try to resolve this error. You could check the physical status of your hardware or rebuild the Boot Configuration Data, use the Automatic Startup Repair or System Restore or better yet, reset your Windows 10 computer.
Since your computer will not boot, you will have to either try to get into Advanced Startup Options screen, boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode or use a bootable Windows 10 media to boot your computer.
Option 1 – Try to rebuild the BCD files
The first thing you can do to resolve the issue is to rebuild Boot Configuration Data or BCD files.
- You can start by booting into the installation environment for Windows 10 from an installation media.
- After that, click on Repair your computer and on the blue screen, select Troubleshoot and then select the Advanced options menu.
- From there, select Command Prompt and once you open it, enter each one of the commands given below by sequence.
- bootrec /FixMbr
- bootrec /FixBoot
- bootrec /ScanOS
- bootrec /RebuildBcd
- Once you’re done executing the commands given above, type “exit” to close the Command Prompt window and then restart your computer and see if it fixed error code 0xc000014c.
Option 2 – Try to run Automatic Startup Repair
In this option, you need to boot your computer into the Advanced Startup Options and from there, run the Automatic Startup Repair and then wait until the process is completed.
Option 3 – Try running System Restore in Advanced Startup Options
Since you probably can’t boot into your Windows 10 computer, you can try to run System Restore again in the Advanced Startup Options.
- Boot your computer into the Advanced Startup Options screen.
- From there, you will see some options to troubleshoot when you can’t log in to Windows in the usual way.
- Now select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- After that, type “rstrui” and hit Enter to execute the command which will start the System Restore process.
Option 4 – Try to perform repair install by creating a Windows 10 installation media
- Click this link and then click the Download Tool Now button.
- Next, click the “Use the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)…” option and follow the next given instructions on the screen.
- Now select the ISO file option in step 5.
- After that, you should now have an ISO file.
- Next, go to the location where you’ve downloaded the ISO file.
- Then right click on the Windows 10 ISO file and select the Open with option and then select File Explorer.
- Now click on “setup.exe” and follow the next instructions that appear on the screen. When asked, you have to select either Nothing (clean install) or Keep personal files only option. Take note that you must not select the “Keep personal files, apps, and Windows settings since it doesn’t really work.
Option 5 – Try to physically check the hardware
You should also check the physical status of the hardware in your computer. You can clean the dust off the hardware components like the Network Card of the computer. You might want to use a small blower or you could also use a soft cloth and run the components gently. Make sure that you don’t damage any parts with moisture or cause harm to any circuits while you carry out this task.
Apart from the “The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors, Error code 0xc0000185” error that keeps you from accessing your desktop, if you have other system-related issues that need some fixing on your Windows 10 PC, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you can try to fix them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.