How to Fix Error 1706
What is Error 1706?
Error 1706 is a Windows PC error. It occurs when you insert a Microsoft CD-ROM either to repair an Office or to install a feature set to Installed on First Use. The error message is displayed in the following format:
Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM drive. For other potential solutions to this problem, see C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\Setup.hlp.
Download Available to Completely Repair Error 1706
Recommended: Download the Automatic Repair Utility to correct this and other PC performance issues.
Certified safe, virus free download. Error Tools Editor’s Choice.
Error 1706 may occur due to several reasons. These include:
- You originally installed MS Office from a network administrative installation
- You are trying to use Office CD-ROM when the error is prompted by the Windows Installer for an Office source location
- Viral Infection
Further Information and Manual Repair
The good news is that this error code is not fatal. However, to avoid inconvenience, it is recommended to resolve the error right away. To fix the problem you don’t have to be a computer programmer or hire one. In fact this error code can be resolved quite easily.
Here are some of the best and easiest do it yourself methods to resolve error 1706 on your PC:
To resolve this issue find a different administrative installation for the Office source file location.
To do this, go to start menu and then click run. In the open box, simply type this command line new network path\Setup.exe /fvm package name.msi and press OK to continue and update changes. Once the update is complete and finished press OK to save and proceed.
Please note after you follow these steps, the Windows Installer uses this new server location whenever it needs to reinstall, repair or add a feature to your Office Installation.
Another alternative method to resolve this method is to use CD-ROM for the Office Source Location. To do this you will have to remove Office and then re-install Office from the CD-ROM.
Here are the steps to remove Office program. First quit all Office programs.
- Go to the Control Panel then click on Program and Features option.
- Now double click the Add/Remove programs and remove the entry for the Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office XP product installed on your PC.
- After that, click on the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Uninstall Office and then click Next to proceed.
- Click Yes to confirm changes.
- Now insert Office 2003 or Office XP CD-ROM and follow the setup dialog boxes to reinstall the program on your system from CD-ROM.
Download Total System Care to Correct Registry Errors
However, to ensure the installation is successful this time round, it is advisable to clean the registry and ensure the uninstalled program is not located in the registry.
To do this, download Total System Care and run it on your computer. This is a powerful PC Fixer integrated with a registry cleaner.
The registry cleaner wipes out all the unnecessary files and uninstalled program files saved in the registry. Once the registry is cleaned, try reinstalling MS Office again. This will resolve the error 1706.
Click here to download Total System Care and repair error 1706.