Renaming items in the Win+X menu in Windows 10
As you know, the Win + X keys, which is the shortcut context menu, is a useful way to launch several utilizes in Windows such as Power Options, Windows PowerShell, Event Viewer, Device Manager, and so on. However, there are times when you might experience difficulty in identifying the required utility. This is actually a part of the Windows 10 shell which goes out of scope in the customization of Windows 10. However, there is an easy trick you can use to do that. So in this post, you will be guided on how you can rename the options in the Win + X menu in Windows 10.
In case you don’t know, the context menu is divided into three groups. Microsoft has categorized the bottom most part as Group 1, while the middle part is categorized as Group 2 and the first part as Group 3. To rename these options, you need to use the File Explorer and follow the instructions laid out below.
Step 1: First, tap the Win + E keys to open File Explorer.
Step 2: Next, navigate to this path: %LocalAppdata%MicrosoftWindowsWinX
Step 3: From there, you should see three folders such as Group 1, Group 2 and Group 3. Open the appropriate folder of your choice.
Step 4: After that, right click on the shortcut option you want to rename and then select Properties.
Step 5: Next, navigate to the Shortcut tab under the Properties window.
Step 6: Now in the text field of Comment, enter the new name of the option you selected.
Step 7: Click on the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes made.
Note: You can now either Sign back in or sign out of your Windows 10 User Account to see the result of the changes you’ve made. You could also restart the process of File Explorer via Task Manager. This will close the File Explorer as well as the shell components and then only launch the shell components again. In addition, you can check the Win + X menu to see the customized name that you’ve just set for a particular option. As you can see, even though it does not add anything extra, it is still a lot better in knowing how you can customize it.
If you have other concerns, apart from renaming items in your Windows 10 computer, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the Safe Mode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now” button.