How to Fix Windows 10 Update error code 0x80d02002
A lot of users have experienced various issues either in installing a Feature or a Windows Update. One of these errors is the one with the error code 0x80d02002. If you are one of the users who is facing this problem right now, then the working solutions given in this post will surely help.
The Windows Update error code 0x80d02002 indicates that Windows 10 fails to upgrade or install as there is some issue with the files that have been downloaded and Windows encounters an error in installing them. Thus, the best thing you can do in such case is to start the installation from scratch but before you do that, here are some suggestions that might help.
Option 1 – Try to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
The Software Distribution folder in the Windows operating system is a folder that can be found in the Windows directory and is used to store files temporarily which might be required to install the Windows Update on your PC. Thus, it is required by the Windows Update and maintained by WUAgent. Aside from that, it also contains all the Windows Update History files and once you delete them, you will most likely lose the Update history. As a result, the next time you run the Windows Update, it may result in a longer detection time.
- Open the WinX Menu.
- From there, open Command Prompt as admin.
- Then type in the following command – don’t forget to hit Enter right after typing each one of them.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
rename c:windowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
- After entering these commands, it will stop the Windows Update Service, the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
- Next, got to the C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution folder and get rid of all the folders and files thereby tapping the Ctrl + A keys to select them all and then click on Delete. Note that if the files are in use, you won’t be able to delete them.
- Once all the contents in the Software Distribution folder are deleted, restart your PC and then go back to Command Prompt and input the following commands again.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
Since the folder has already been flushed, it will be populated afresh the instant your restart your computer and open Windows Update.
Option 2 – Try to reset the Catroot2 folder
You can also try resetting the catroort2 folder as it is known to fix tons of Windows Update issues including the Windows Update error code 0x80d02002. Both the Catroot and catroot2 are Windows operating system folders that are required for the Windows update process. So when you run the Windows Update, the catroort2 folders stores the signatures of the Windows Update package and helps it in the installation. It makes use of the “%windir%System32catroot2edb.log” file in the updating process. Afterward, the updates are stored in the SoftwareDistribution folder which are used then by the Automatic Updates in order to execute the updating process. Keep in mind that you must not rename or delete the Catroot folder. Although the Catroot2 folder is recreated automatically by Windows, the Catroot folder isn’t.
Option 3 – Try running the DISM tool to fix the broken Windows Update client
The Windows update/upgrade error 0x80d02002 might be caused by some issues in the Windows Update client so you need to run the DISM tool to repair it. Note that you have to use another computer or another Windows from a shared network to fix it.
Option 4 – Try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter could also help you resolve the Windows Update error 0x80d02002. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button.
Option 5 – Try to run Microsoft’s troubleshooter online
You also have the option to run Microsoft’s online troubleshooter which could help you fix Windows Update errors.
If you are dealing with other system issues right now your Windows 10 PC apart from the Windows Update error 0x80d02002, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions for downloading and using it, refer to the steps below.
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your computer. If it’s already on, you have to reboot
- After that, the BIOS screen will be displayed, but if Windows pops up instead, reboot your computer and try again. Once you’re on the BIOS screen, repeat pressing F8, by doing so the Advanced Option shows up.
- To navigate the Advanced Option use the arrow keys and select Safe Mode with Networking then hit
- Windows will now load the SafeMode with Networking.
- Press and hold both R key and Windows key.
- If done correctly, the Windows Run Box will show up.
- Type in the URL address, https://errortools.com/download/restoro in the Run dialog box and then tap Enter or click OK.
- After that, it will download the program. Wait for the download to finish and then open the launcher to install the program.
- Once the installation process is completed, run Restoro to perform a full system scan.
- After the scan is completed click the “Fix, Clean & Optimize Now”button.