How to Fix “The drive is not a valid backup location” Error in Windows 10
USB storage devices are used to store small and even big files, depending on their sizes. Usually, the sizes of the USB vary from 2GB up to 16GB. And as time passes, they have advanced quite a bit and now it’s common to find USB sticks with a capacity of 32GB, 64GB, or even 128GB. And since they now have large capacities, USB storage devices are often used for storing backups of system data as well as creating an image. However, there are times when you might encounter an error message while trying to create a backup or image on your USB device. The error message states:
“The drive is not a valid backup location.”
One of the causes of this problem is that Windows was not able to recognize the USB drives as a valid backup location since USB storage devices weren’t previously large enough to store system images. To fix this error, here are some possible solutions that might help.
Option 1 – Try creating a sub-folder in the USB drive and backup all the images there
The first thing you can try to do is to create a sub-folder on your USB device. This is one good way you can bypass the USB drive limitation. How? Refer to the steps below.
- First, right-click on the USB storage device and select Format.
- Next, select NTFS as the File System and check the box next to Quick Format.
- After that, click on Start to initiate the formatting process.
- Once the formatting process is completed, open the USB drive and right-click anywhere inside its main drive window, and then select New > Folder.
- Then name the folder to be created as “Image (or anything you please)”.
- Afterward, right-click on the folder and select Properties.
- From there, go to the Sharing tab and click on Share.
- Now check if the Permission level on the System owner which should be your username is labeled as “Owner”.
- Then try to back up your files again using your USB drive while keeping the sub-folder as the backup location.
Option 2 – Update the USB Controller Drivers
- First, click the Start button and type “device manager”.
- Then click on the “Device Manager” from the search results to open it.
- From there, look for the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” option and then right-click on each one of the USB drivers and select the Update Driver from the menu.
- Restart your PC and then click the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
You also have the option to update the motherboard and the USB driver from the manufacturer’s official website.
Option 3 – Run CHKDSK utility to check the drive for errors
When it comes to some issues concerning the hard drive or removable devices, there is a utility in Windows that might help which is called “chkdsk”. To use it, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + S keys to open the Search box.
- Then type “command prompt” in the field and from the search results that appear, right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- After opening an elevated command prompt, copy and paste the following command and hit Enter:
CHKDSK [volume [[path] filename]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/C] [: size]]
Note: In the command given above, “[/F]” will try to fix the system errors while “[/R]” will be the one to fix the bad sectors.
- Now if you are prompted to run CHKDSK after your reboot your PC, just tap Y and reboot your PC.
- If CHKDSK is not able to find any errors, tap the Win + E keys and navigate the access window. From there, right-click on the concerned drive and click on Properties.
- After opening Properties, click on the tab Tools and then click on the “Check” button under the Error-checking section.
- Wait until the process is completed and then restart your computer.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the drive is not a valid backup location error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix The drive is not a valid backup location error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.